Monday 16 March 2015

Feeding the birds...

Out on the fields slitting and aerating the paddocks all weekend surrounded by birds. In another land far away when I was a kid growing up in Billingham at the time a centre for heavy industry I sometimes  used to see clouds of gulls and lapwings following the plough and the harrow on a farm in Sandy Lane ( now a golf course) I can still picture the navy grey Fergie the rich brown of the turned earth and the gulls in their hundred following. Magic...
I had myself a little déjà vu this weekend as the birds came in  from far and wide once they realise you are turning up bits of soil with bugs and bits in to eat.  For just a moment I was ten again walking with my Dad down Sandy Lane on a Saturday morning towards Wolviston cricket ground for the weekly match. I stopped and tried to get a pic to catch at least one of the wee moments of magic of the black headed  gulls hovering alongside the tractor. Thought was there but as usual the camera was not up to the job and couldn't get close to the magic.  'Twas ever thus.

No comments:

Post a Comment